Tuesday, January 20, 2015

ACT or SAT



One of the things I am getting a feel for this year is testing. Lots of testing. Furthermore, testing for the SAT and ACT. I've taken both of these tests, and am about to take the SAT again in the coming weeks. As a high schooler myself, I wanted to know what was the difference between the two? Which is better? Which is harder? What do colleges like to see? Now, I'm no expert on the subject, but I have learned a little bit about these tests!

1) ACT is harder, SAT is easier
To me, I have noticed the content of these tests are different. They ask along the same line of questions, but one is more rigorous than the other.

2) SAT is longer than ACT
Timing plays a huge roll in my testing. Generally, if the test lasts for a little over 3 hours, I lose complete focus because my brain is so exhausted. The SAT lasts anywhere from 3-5 hours and the ACT is under 4 hours usually. 

3) ACT has science, SAT does not
For all of you aspiring scientists out there, there is a test that has that! Surprisingly, the science portion was my highest score on my ACT, english being my second highest. It consists of graphs, tables, and some elements from the periodic table.

4) SAT has a mandatory essay, ACT does not
I love, love, love the essay portion of the SAT. It's the first section of the test, and you have 25 minutes to complete it. The reason I love this so much and have gotten a good score on this portion is because every week in my AP Lang class, we write a multiple page, 35 minute essay. Talk about practice! Also, if you sign up to take the writing portion on the ACT, colleges like for you to submit that score as well (some schools require it.)

5) SAT has 10 sections, ACT has four
SAT: 3 critical reading sections, 3 math sections, 3 writing sections (including essay), and 1 experimental section. Normally they are not in that order.
ACT: 1 english section, 1 math section, 1 reading section, and 1 science section. 

6) What do colleges like to see?
Colleges will let you submit either score, typically which ever you have done the best on is the one you submit!

7) How are the tests scored?
SAT is a range of 200-2400 points.
ACT is a range of 1-36 points.

8) What content is on each section?
SAT
   
ACT

9) How is the SAT essay scored?
The scoring here can be a little tricky. You will receive a score of 1-6, with twelve being the highest. Meaning, if you got a 6 on your essay, they add 6 more and you get a 12. 

1 = 2
2 = 4
3 = 6
4 = 8
  5 = 10
  6 = 12


I hope this helps!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment