Monday, August 22, 2016

College Life


Hello, hello friends! 

I am officially blogging from my sweet, little college town of Athens, Georgia. I moved in August 7th for sorority recruitment and classes began August 11th. Drop/Add week, commonly known as 'Syllabus Week' is officially over and everyone is getting into the groove of things with their classes. 

I've only been in school for 11 days but it seems a lot longer than that. Many things have changed in my two weeks here. As I mentioned earlier, I participated in Formal Sorority Recruitment. It consisted of 4:30 am wake up calls, going to 18 houses to meet active members and then going through the rest of the rounds leading up to Bid Day. The whole process was about a week long. However, I withdrew from sorority recruitment the morning of Preferential (Pref) Rounds. The entire process is life-changing and I plan to do a few posts about Greek Life and rush in general if you all are interested. 

Now, onto college life..

The good:
- SO. MUCH. FREEDOM. 
High school never consisted of this much freedom. I have breaks in between my classes and I only have 2-3 classes a day. It gives me enough time to catch up on sleep, run errands, and do homework. No one is there to tell you to go to class or do your laundry. butttt, you should go to class!!!

- Meeting new people
Everybody is the 'new kid' in college. New school, new town, even a new state. I've been fortunate enough to meet great people so far, through my Gamma Chi group and on my hall. My hall mates are the bomb and we've already had great times together!

- Better food
My cafeteria food was awful in high school. At UGA, there are multiple dining halls that offer different things. One dining hall serves Hibachi while the other serves healthy shakes and so on. It is hard to eat healthy unless you are disciplined. 

The bad:
- Illness
My doctor recently told me that you'll never be more sick in your life than in college. #joy. Many girls who participated in recruitment have been experiencing the same cold and freshman who are getting acclimated to the dorms. You always have to wash your hands and be mindful of those around you who are sick. 

- The buses
UGA is a very large and hilly campus. Many buses run through campus but figuring out which route to take can be challenging! UGA has an app that has the bus routes but it's still easy to hop on the wrong bus. 

- The heat
It's hot as hell here in Athens and the South in general! Fall is in a month and we could not be more ready for it. Plus, Fall = FOOTBALL. I walk everywhere on campus so #sweaty.  Is anyone else dying in this heat right now?!

- Textbooks
I highly highly recommend that you rent your textbooks if you can. You will save a ton of money. Plus, you can still highlight in them as long as you don't destroy them. Do not pay full-price for a core class textbook. And if you have to, prepare to have your heart break. 

What other posts would y'all like to see?! Feel free to submit them at my Tumblr or shoot me an email at carlymixon11@gmail.com :)

Happy Monday!

Carly 

No comments:

Post a Comment